Ambush Finish Season With Loss to Monterrey

by Jim Fossell

St. Charles, MO (February 25, 2018) – The St. Louis Ambush closed the book on their 2017-18 season when they lost 6-5 to the Monterrey Flash Sunday afternoon at the Family Arena. The Flash improved to 20-1, while the Ambush finished the season 3-19. 

Like their name, Monterrey scored in a flash when Miguel Vaca found the back of the net just 15 seconds into the contest. The Flash established their dominance early, scoring two more times within the first six minutes of the match. Edgar Flores scored twice two minutes apart (3:52 and 5:52) to make the score 3-0.The Ambush got on the board in the last minute of the first quarter when goalkeeper Paulo took a long high shot from between the yellow line and halfway line. The ball sailed over the head of Monterrey goalkeeper Diego Reynoso and landed in the net at 14:31 to make the score 3-1 in favor of Monterrey.

Monterrey went up 4-1 when Vaca got off a quick shot inside the arc and beat Paulo. At 8:51 of the second period. The remainder of the quarter saw no further scoring, giving the visitors a three-goal lead at halftime.

The Ambush started the second half much the way the Flash started the first half, scoring twice, 14 seconds apart, and scoring three within the first five minutes of the third quarter. Nestor Hernandez went on a breakaway and beat Reynoso at 2:01. Corey Adamson caught Reynoso out of the goal and scored at 2:15. Lucas Almeida scored at 4:10 when he took a pass from Hewerton and got off an upper ninety shot to tie the game 4-4. Monterrey took the lead (5-4) on an Ambush restart gone wrong when Edgar Flores stole a kick from Hewerton and sent it to Lourenco Andrade, who was able to beat Paulo at 7:34. 

The Flash went up 6-4 when Paulo came down to the offensive end of the field and Axel Duarte lost the ball to Erick Flores, who put the ball in the open net with ease at 3:15 of the final stanza. Two Monterrey players earned trips to the penalty box when Brayan Aguilar was penalized for a two-footed tackle at 6:59, followed by Damian Garcia, for the same offense, at 7:25, giving the Ambush a power play. Jerjer Gibson made good on the opportunity when he took a pass from Hewerton and slammed it into the goal at 7:42 to make the score 6-5. The comeback failed to gain any more steam and Monterrey held on for the 6-5 win. 

The long off-season now commences, giving Ambush head coach Hewerton and majority owner Shelly Clark plenty of time to figure out what went wrong and to make improvements prior to the 2018-19 season, which kicks off in December.