Ambush Play at Home, on Road this Weekend
St. Charles, MO (February 8, 2018) – The St. Louis Ambush (2-15) play on the road and at home this weekend. On Friday, February 9, the team travels across the state to tangle with the Kanas City Comets (5-11) at 7:35 p.m. at the Silverstein Eye Centers Arena in Independence. The next night, Saturday, February 10, the Ambush return home to the Family Arena to host the Cedar Rapids Rampage (8-9) in a 7:05 p.m. match.
The Ambush have been eliminated from playoff contention. The Comets, although not yet numerically eliminated, would face a tough road, with a 5-11 record, to overcome the 8-9 Cedar Rapids Rampage for the second playoff spot in the Central Division. The Milwaukee Wave have already clinched the division title.
Friday’s game is the fourth of four between the Ambush and Comets this season. The Comets won the previous three, the most recent being a 7-6 nail-biter on February 3 at the Family Arena. Leo Gibson scored the game-winner in that contest with less than two minutes remaining on the clock.
Saturday’s duel is the fourth of four between the Ambush and Rampage this season. The Rampage won two of the three games played thus far.
There is a fair amount of familiarity between the Ambush and both their weekend opponents that goes beyond being Central Division rivals including:
- The Comets signed veteran goalkeeper Jeff Richey on January 25. He was the starting goalkeeper for the 2013-14 St. Louis Ambush, appearing in 17 games.
- Comets defender Odaine Sinclair played three seasons (2013-16) with the Ambush and won the 2013-14 MISL Rookie of the Year award as a member of the Ambush.
- During his playing career, Comets Assistant Coach Jeff Davis played three seasons with the original St. Louis Ambush and three with the St. Louis Steamers.
- Ambush defender Stefan St. Louis played two seasons (2012-14) with the Comets.
- Rampage midfielder Gordy Gurson appeared in 19 games with the Ambush during the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.
- Rampage midfielder Bobby Hurwitz appeared in one game with the Ambush during the 2015-16 season.
- Rampage midfielder Victor France appeared in 21 games with the Ambush during the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons.
- Ambush midfielder Corey Adamson appeared in eight games with the Rampage during the 2015-16 season.
- Ambush player/coach Hewerton Moreira appeared in 40 games with the Rampage over the past two seasons and also served as Head Coach last season.
Both games this weekend promise some interesting scenarios and rivalries, thanks to the personnel changes listed above.
Prior to Saturday’s game, the Ambush will salute 30 seasons of professional indoor soccer in St. Louis with an alumni game featuring previous St. Louis Steamers, St. Louis Storm and St. Louis Ambush players taking the field against former players from other MISL and NPSL teams. The Alumni Game is slated for 5:15 p.m. and a ticket for the Ambush-Rampage game includes admission to the Alumni Game.
For up to date Ambush news, visit the official website, stlambush.com, the team’s Facebook page and on Twitter and Instagram.